On Sunday, May 16, the First Little Nguyen was called to the Table of the Lord to receive his First Holy Communion. It was a much-anticipated day, one that he has prepared for during these last two years of his faith formation journey. In getting ready for this day, he celebrated First Reconciliation in March and has spent the past few months learning about the Consecration of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Catholics believe it is through receiving Christ's Body and Blood that we are nourished spiritually, and the transformation of the bread and wine is a fundamental belief of our faith. The Eucharist brings us closer to our God and it is at His Table that we re-enact the Last Supper, remembering the sacrifice He made for all of us in dying on the Cross for our sins.
With Mom and Daddy, before Mass.
The celebration of this day was made even more special because he was surrounded by so many people who love him: Grandma Busekist, Uncle Toan & Aunt Hoa (his Godparents), Aunt Carolina, and Uncle John & Aunt Susan. I am so glad they were all able to come from so far away, to be here to spend this special day with him, and to see him come to the Table of the Lord for the very first time. It goes without saying that we missed Chi's parents, who were both back in Greenwich recovering from an awful cold, but they were with us in spirit and we thought of them all day long! And, of course, we know Grandpa B. was there with us, too. At one point, Mom took a look at the First Little Nguyen, all dressed up, and said, "Oh! We have to remember to take a picture for..." And then she caught herself. Moments like those remind us of how everpresent the people we love are -- in Heaven or here with us on Earth.
Dressed and ready for Mass.I have known for several years now that my little boy just isn't a little boy anymore, and there are so many times when I am almost paralyzed, clearly overwhelmed, with the fear of losing him. Minutes fly by and are simply lost as I try to take it all in and experience the moments. This morning, after I helped him dress in his fancy clothes, was no exception. I watched my mother and sister pinning a precious white flower on my little boy's lapel. I saw my sister-in-law capturing special moments in photographs so that we can always remember. And there just aren't words to describe how I felt. It was almost as if I were taking a glimpse into the future, maybe of the day when I watch him dress for his Confirmation, or a graduation, or even to marry the love of his life. The fear was paralyzing again. In the existence of time, he is ours only for a brief moment. Whew...
Grandma pins on a three pure white flowers.The First Little Nguyen is normally larger-than-life, with a dramatic personality and a zest for life that is unlike either Chi or I. Most of the time, we find it a challenge to harness his energy and direct his interest. But for a few hours this morning, Everyday Benjamin was replaced with something a bit more mature, much more calm, and clearly focused. As he processed down the aisle in church, the same aisle Chi and I walked down when we were married, I felt absolutely, lip-quiveringly overwhelmed. But in a different way. Happy that he has come to this place, to the Table, to Him that will nourish him for the rest of his life. Mass will never be the same for Benjamin again -- never again will he just watch others take the Body and Blood. My little boy has been called to the Table of the Lord. I pray that he will always be thankful for the greatest of sacrifices made for him. Our Lord is the Bread of Life, and knowing Him is a blessing that will feed my little boy forever.
Standing before the Table.
| Digital slideshow made with Smilebox |

0 comments:
Post a Comment