CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 27

Please, Just One More Day?

My sweet Thomas.
Oh. How did we get here so fast? I have so many emotions running through me today...they are almost impossible to describe. I feel torn -- torn between knowing in my mind that I need to let go, while wanting desperately to hang on tight. At least the decision was made for me today. The Second Little Nguyen was excited, to say the least. He was ready to walk on his own.
Two Little Leopards Excited, to say the least.
Today was Kindergarten staggered entry day for Thomas. It's really one of two things: 1) a half day for the kindergarteners to "try out" kindergarten, or 2) a day for parents to pretend for just one more day that they don't have to let go quite yet. It's a teaser day, really! Of course, he chose this morning to want to sleep in, so he was not having any of this wake up with a great attitude thing. I tried to pry him out of bed with tickles, which made him angrier, but finally coaxed him out of the blankets with the promise of a piggyback ride down to his plate of warm waffles. Ahhh...waffles make everything better.
The First Little Nguyen, leading the way.
From there, it was all downhill. He dressed in his super-special, highly metrosexual aquamarine first-day-of-school shirt -- the one he picked out a few weeks ago. He looked so grown up, happily posing for pictures in our front yard. Milo the monkey was there, too, which was sweet. He has been Thomas' constant companion for the past four years, ever since my sister, Becky, mailed him in a birthday package to the Second Little Nguyen. It was fitting to have him in the pictures with my little big guy. Alas, Milo stayed in the car to "run errands" with me while my baby walked into school, FINALLY his school, behind the older brother who paved the way. Off to Kindergarten. Through the door. Down the hall. Waving goodbye to me with his eyes and a smile. Against my better judgement, I asked for a hug. Then, he was off to build a block tower with Sawyer. I have to admit, I lurked. I walked past the door at least five times, finding reasons to go up and down the hall. Oh, I'll go say hello to the old teachers. Oh, let me look to see who is on Benjamin's class list. Oh, the list goes on...
A Little Yellow School Bus Cake -- as requested.
I will also own up to the fact that, after I had a brief pity party and shed a few tears, I practically ran to the car. I went to Starbucks for MY traditional back-to-school treat...a Pumpkin Spice Latte, no whip. Ahhh...the taste of back-to-school. Then, I wandered through Harris Teeter looking for the ingredients to make the requested first day of school treat -- a yellow bus cake. Milo picked up some mini Oreos to greet his best buddy with after school. After four hours of creating, the bus was done and I was literally speeding to pick up my baby. I couldn't wait to hear all about his morning. He ran to me with a smile, and then burst into tears telling me he had fallen on the playground. Putty in his hands, I tell you. I am. With a kiss, all was well, and he was brave again, spilling all the details of his day. I built with blocks and I cut lines with scissors and I heard a story about a bear and I ate graham crackers and I made my name and I told them all the letters...the little ones, too...and I made patterns and I walked on a bean. A bean? A beam....got it.
Completely and utterly overjoyed!
Yummy!
My Second Little Ngyuen was beyond excited when he saw his special treat. It was "just what I wanted." It's so easy to please a child who gives explicit instructions! He loved blowing out the alphabet candles "riding" on the bus, and he made a wish for a GREAT school year. I don't think he will have to wish for that. I think it's already a done deal. A little birdie told me my wish for a great school had been granted and that the Second Little Nguyen would have the same teacher as his older brother had for Kindergarten. It will be a good fit for him, in many ways, and it will certainly make the transition easier since he has already spent so much time in her classroom. Getting ready to make a wish for a GREAT Kindergarten year!
We'll get ready to do this day all over again next Wednesday, when he goes for his first full day. He's guaranteed to be tired, and although I may not be ready, I know he is. That's all that matters. Enough said.

0 comments: