CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 20

Planestruck

You would think that an intelligent, witty, educated woman such as myself could remember to charge her digital camera battery now and then. What's worse is that I have two, count 'em, two sets of batteries! I can't tell you the number of times I have had to ask someone I know at a play, a musical performance, a school function, or a family event to Please, could you take a picture of my child and e-mail it to me? I feel like an unorganized beggar...



Well, today I was very organized. I had my bag packed with the camera and even loaded it with what I thought were "freshly-charged" batteries. I wanted to be ready to leave at our target departure time of 4:00 p.m. because WRAL said they would begin live coverage at 4:30. I wanted to be there well ahead of time so I could explain everything to the boys and make this an historical and educational experience they would never forget. However, the Littlest Nguyen was worn out from swimming lessons today and, unbeknownst to me, had plans for a marathon nap. So 4:00 p.m. came and went. I finally had to wake him up. You see, we had a very important place to be. It was, possibly, a once in a lifetime opportunity. Can you predict how this story is going to end? I hate that I am forced to tell you this very exciting story the old fashioned way...pre photo journalism.



Air Force One landed at RDU this afternoon! And we were there to see it! With a dead camera! The First Little Nguyen and I were completely revved all day long at the thought of seeing it, and the fact that we couldn't photograph it was something I couldn't wrap my mind around. It was perfect...Chi took off early and met us at the Airport Observation Park...we had the camera...and there it was coming toward us in all of its blue and white, 747, double decker, U.S. of A. glory. And the camera said Change the batteries. AAACCCKKK!!! It gets worse.



The Secret Service SUVs raced past us on the runway at ungodly speeds to meet the plane, and Air Force One came to a stop behind the UPS facility (if you haven't spent hours at the Observation Park with two little airport freaks, you might not know where this is). The entire crowd was in a frenzied race to cross the grassy knoll....ewww....this sounds so Kennedy assasination-like. Sorry. Anyway, everyone ran like the wind to cross the grass and the street toward to NCDOT building. There was a chainlink fence there, and Air Force Once was parked (wait...does one park a plane?) maybe 300 yards beyond that,. It was prime viewing. I couldn't believe we could get that close, but, of course, the Secret Service snipers and sharpshooters were positioned strategically on the roof of the DHL building to the right. We watched President Bush emerge from the plane, wave to us (and the other 200 people there), and climb into his waiting black limo. Many other dark-suited people followed, and then a vision in white emerged. We knew it had to be the First Lady! The crowd cheered. Seriously. It was, like, better than the Elmo Live concert a few weeks ago.



The boys were totally amazed by the plane. They have seen planes before, and they can name so many different airlines. The First Little Nguyen knew the distinctive airline markings before he could even read, and the Littlest Nguyen probably recognizes even more. I mean, we normally go to watch planes take off and land once every few weeks. We've done that for as long as I can remember, and it's one of their favorite places. Really, it's very nostalgic for me. When I was a little girl, my dad used to take me to the airport to watch planes on his days off. It's one of the few memories I have of my dad before he had his stroke, and I still get a rush when I hear the familiar sound of a jet engine!



I can't say that I could be any more amazed by a Hollywood celebrity or a sports figure than I was by the whole Air Force One, presidential experience today. I admit it...I was completely starstruck. Or, planestruck. Chi could hardly pull me away from the chainlink fence. It must have been a sight....a touristy-like mother wearing flip flops and Bermuda shorts shouting at her kids, Do you see it? There it is! That's Air Force One! Oh, my gosh! It's huge! I could have stared at that parked plane all afternoon. I wanted to stay and watch it taxi and take off, but the boys were demanding dinner. Can you imagine? You'll have to, because I have not one picture of this event to share with you.



Top Ten Things Said or Heard Today About Air Force One:



  1. "Mommy, it's tail is so tall!" (Littlest Nguyen)

  2. "Does he go to the bathroom in there?" (First Little Nguyen)

  3. "Will a bullet go through that metal?" (First Little Nguyen)

  4. "Is Barack Obama on the plane, too?" (First Little Nguyen)

  5. "Mommy, there's an ambulance following him!" (following in the motorcade -- Littlest Nguyen)

  6. "The pilot is probably sitting in there having a Coke right now." (First Little Nguyen, after the President's motorcade drove away)

  7. "Actually, there are two Air Force Ones. It's only called Air Force One if the President is actually on board." (Chi)

  8. "I was only a few feet from President Clinton when he landed on board the carrier. We "booed" him and we got in big trouble." (Chi)

  9. "Hillary Clinton was on board the aircraft carrier with you, Dad?" (First Little Nguyen)

  10. "Are we riding that plane to Grandma B.'s?" (Littlest Nguyen)

0 comments: