It's been a long while since my last blog. Our camera has been MIA since the week after Easter. I finally found it today in the bonus room, right where I left it. Now what is it I am always telling the Little Nguyens? Boys, please put things away when you are finished using them! I need to heed my own advice!


A view of the back of the canoe.
The weather this weekend was warm with relatively low humidity. So, it was actually possible to get outside and do something fun. The First Little Nguyen has been begging and pleading with us lately to go canoeing, and his wish was granted this afternoon. I know what most of you are thinking. Sarah actually got in a canoe? Yes...just like Sarah camps and Sarah can pitch a tent and Sarah can fish. Mom, I think all those years in Girl Scouts were really just preparing me to be the mother of two boys!

The Second Little Nguyen gives rowing a try.
Mommy at the front.
This is fun!
Yes, I can row. I don't know where I learned that skill, but somehow I have it. The afternoon wasn't like a scene from On Golden Pond where Katharine Hepburn was wearing her straw hat and linen blouse, riding around in some fancy rowboat shouting to Henry Fonda, "Faster, Norman! Faster!" Nor was it the scene where her soon-to-be grandson was peacefully rowing her around Golden Pond while she taught him a few choice life lessons. Until the end, that is, when I realized that God did not make me the mother of two boys to row them around a lake. Vice versa. Just because I can does not mean I should. That's when I let Chi and the boys row me to shore, saying to the First Little Nguyen, "Oh, good job! You were born to row a boat, little man! You are so strong!" 
The First Little Nguyen takes the oar.

Taking a little instruction from Dad.
Stop taking my picture, Mom! Getting just a little testy....
Picture taking was kind of fun. Sitting at the front of the boat, it was difficult to turn around to get good shots of the boys and Chi without disturbing the balance. If one has ever been in a canoe, one knows that any movement, smooth or jerky, make boat shift slightly on either side. One person turning around changes the weight distribution in the canoe and makes it lean to one side or the other. The ride was a lesson in balance as well as skill! The First Little Nguyen quickly learned that the "tipping canoe" feeling was a bit of a jolt to his little brother, and he took joy in rocking the boat as often as possible. He is so seven.


Make way for goslings!


Hey, Dude. You have two legs. It's easier if you use them both.
There is no better place to view the local wildlife than from the water. There were lots of fuzzy little goslings learning to swim today. While drifting in the canoe and watching them follow after their parents, the Second Little Nguyen said, "Look! They are obeying!"

The Handsome Mr. Nguyen
After we made it back to shore and the First Little Nguyen had his chance to tie the boat to the dock (the probable highlight of the whole event), we treated the Little Nguyens to ice cream in the shade. We were all hot, and it felt good to sit down and feel the cool breeze coming off the water. We watched other canoes coming in and people pedaling around in pedal boats (quite possibly in next weekend's schedule). What great family fun for $4 an hour!
An ice cream sandwich
Something cold, creamy and on a stick....perfection!
1 comments:
That looks so fun! Glad you guys had a good time!
Post a Comment