We had a really wonderful Easter, spending almost the whole day at Aunt Suzy and Uncle John's! We decided to go to Mass at 7:30 this morning and the Little Nguyens did surprisingly well when we woke them up at o'dark thirty. I love early Mass on Easter morning: the sun is just up, the news of His rising is heartening, the music is always so beautiful, and the readings fill my heart with sorrow and joy at the same time as I try to comprehend the magnitude of Jesus' sacrifice. The Second Little Nguyen was sitting on my lap during the Gospel reading. After listening to Father Bill read the first few lines, he whispered suddenly, "MOM! I know this story! I know how this ends. The angel is going to tell the people Jesus is alive!" I smiled and wanted to laugh out loud! Oh, the things children say! Jesus must have been smiling from heaven; it's no wonder why he loves the little children!
About three quarters of the way through Mass, the First Little Nguyen pointed out that Aunt Suzy and Uncle John were sitting right across the aisle from us. We met up with them after Mass and made the plan for the rest of our day. After heading home to change our clothes and pick up the Easter eggs and baskets, our tummies were hungry and we hurried to Aunt Susan's. Thank goodness the rumors of waffles with strawberries and almond whipped cream were true! The Second Little Nguyen loves waffles more than any other breakfast food and would eat them every morning if I would let him, so he was happy to assist Aunt Suzy in mixing up a big batch. YUM!!
After breakfast, Susan and I went out to hide the Easter eggs in her front yard, which took us longer than it would inevitably take the children to find them all! I picked up some camouflage eggs...yes, camouflage eggs...at Target a few weeks ago. I knew the First Little Nguyen would love those. And, really, they turned out to be a great purchase! The brightly colored Easter eggs are always easy to find in the green grass, but these camo eggs were a trick! There were 16 of them, and 15 were found. I am sure Uncle John will find the last one when he mows the laws next! I have to say, after several years of hunting eggs here in our yard, it was great to have some new hiding places. Aunt Susan's yard is much bigger, so the Little Nguyens had their work cut out for them! After finding all of the eggs (I think), minus the M.I.A. camo egg, the boys sat on the front steps and started popping them open. They found the usual Reese's peanut butter cups and Hershey's eggs, some quarters and a few dollars (SCORE!), and a real treat...Rice Krispies treats in the camo eggs. Last night, I washed them all out and dried them. Then, Chi and I stuffed them with warm Rice Krispies treats mix. I have to say, this was the best idea ever. Why didn't I ever think of this before? The boys loved them, the mixture molded perfectly and the treats were easy to remove. Thanks, Family Fun or Parents magazine, wherever I saw the idea.
After egg hunting, the boys ate a few treats. The First Little Nguyen went out in the backyard to test out a little finger kite (what they won't think of next) from his Easter basket, the Second Little Nguyen crashed hard on the sofa with Uncle John and Dad, and I helped Susan cook a scrumptious pork loin with caramelized veggies and apples. YUM, Part 2! The rest of our afternoon was spent watching the Master's golf tournament. This was a first for me, and it was actually quite interesting. By this time, the First Little Nguyen was running a fever, obviously having caught his brother's cold. He had curled up in a big chair, which is unlike him, so we thought it was probably time to end the party. Both boys were asleep early, exhausted from both the early morning and a day full of fun.
If you want to view our slideshow (there were so many good pictures to choose from!), turn off the sound to the right on our playlist. Otherwise, you will end up with two different songs playing at the same time! Thanks to Andrea for sharing the website for the Smilebox slideshow she used in one of her recent blog entries. A fresh perspective is always a good thing!
Happy Easter, Everyone!

2 comments:
Glad you all had fun, wish we could have been there!
It looks like you had so much fun! I hope the second little Nguyen feels better!
Post a Comment