CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 21

Just Fine at 9

One happy 9-year old
  Oh, to wake up and be nine again.  Wouldn't that be fine?  I remember my 9th birthday as if it were just yesterday.  It was a fall Friday night, and Mom made chili for my friends and I to eat tailgate-style in the kitchen before a Bearcat football game.  I got a locket and a sweater with pastel ribbons running through it.  I wore that pretty thing to the football game and froze my a$$ off.  We ran around like we owned the joint, watching Dean Maxwell direct the marching band and wondering if he was wearing a dickie under his v-neck sweater.  I came home with fiberglass splinters in my rump that one could get if one didn't use a stadium cushion.  But an good ole slumber party made me forget about them.  Either than or Renee Hamann's 1:00 a.m. asthma attack.  Aahhh....great memories of 9.  But this post is not about me.

When you're eight going on nine, waiting around for your birthday to come is like torture.  Every time you check off a day on the calendar, you are only reminded of the agonizing 301, or 178, or 43 that are left until your birthday actually arrives.  Waiting is hard stuff.  But the wait is always worth it once you get to Your Day.  I wonder how he will remember his 9th birthday?

l
Birthday Gift Guess
The First Little Nguyen was awake at 6:20, which is not unusual for him on a non-school day.  This is the only day out of the year, besides maybe Christmas, when he is allowed to enter our bedroom screaming.  He was nice to me this year, though.  He only roughed me up a little and said in a loud whisper, "Mom!  I'm nine now!  Wake up!"  And I did.  But from that moment on, I struggled to keep up... all the way down the stairs.  He was d-e-l-i-g-h-t-e-d beyond belief when he rounded the corner into the living room to not only find Dad already awake and ready to celebrate his birthday, but also a pile of presents!   All right.  Yes, I know it looks like a slew of gifts, but we only turn nine once!  And there were a lot of little things all wrapped up, some of them clothes, so those don't even count as gifts when one is a nine-year old boy. There was one gift for each year old, and each package had a riddle attached to solve before he opened it.  The mother of a friend of mine established a similar tradition for her kids growing up to make their Christmas festivities extra-special, and it looked like a lot of fun, so I decided to try it out for a birthday.  Folks, I think it's here to stay!  What a neat idea!  It made for a memorable celebration for sure.  The First Little Nguyen loved his birthday gift guess, reading each clue and guessing what was inside each package.  Really, it was the only thing that slowed him down!  This was a fun twist on the usual birthday-present-opening frenzy, and, as you can tell, he loved the extra fuss that was made! (And I loved making the extra fuss!)
Opening the newest Jack & Annie -- he's addicted to the series...

...and plowed through it in 43 minutes later in the day.  Yup.  He timed it.

New teamwear for his favorite hockey team.

The clue for his new Star Wars LEGO set

Pouring over the new LEGO bricks...

Just in time for soccer season!

Reading a clue

His favorite clue of all!

GO WOLFPACK!

...and it's a new jersey!  Uncle John will be so proud.

A new IronKids watch!  I think it does more than my cell phone.

A clue for his 9th birthday breakfast...

...at the Flying Biscuit Cafe!  His fav!
 This year, the First Little Nguyen learned what Groupon is!  And the Groupon was a clue to where we would be taking him for his birthday breakfast --  The Flying Biscuit Cafe!  On the weekends after church, he always asks to go there for brunch.  The lines are sooooo long on the weekends, and as I have mentioned in previous posts, the Nguyens do not like to wait in line to eat or do just about anything else.  So, this Monday morning presented itself as a perfect opportunity to breakfast at his favorite spot! 

Dressed and ready at breakfast...
 Aunt Susan and Uncle John met us there, and they had a table waiting....with birthday balloons!  It was a bonafide party!  Not only that, they came bearing more cool gifts.
...and a gift from Aunt Susan & Uncle John.

A new novelty....Target Gift Coins!  Very cool!
The First Little Nguyen stuffed himself silly with two-and-a-half of their famous sugar-crusted biscuits, scrambled eggs, applewood smoked bacon (my mouth is watering now), and fresh fruit (I mention that so I don't have to think about the fat that was coursing through his veins by that time!).  Oh, my.  The appetite of a nine-year old is frightening.  We spent the rest of the morning browsing through Barnes and Noble and window shopping in Target.  He even held onto his gift coins!
Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream cake for the Cake Disliker
The First Little Nguyen is not a fan of cake.  I know what you're thinking.  How can he be my child?  But, he loves ice cream cake, so we made one in his favorite flavor (mint chocolate chip) with a dark chocolate brownie base.  Mmmmmm.  He loved that!
Clearly pleased with his non-cake

Taking it all in...

Taking a deep breath...

...and making a wish!
When I held our newborn First Little Nguyen for the very first time, I couldn't possibly have imagined how quickly nine years could fly by.  In fact, it's like waiting for your birthday to come on a calendar, but in reverse and fast-forward at the same time. And furthermore, I couldn't have fathomed how I could love him more nine years down the road than I did the very first moment I held him.  We are full of love for this little creature.  He has charmed us with that same infectious smile every day for nine years. His neverending curiosity drives him forward at break-neck speeds sometimes, and his ability to squeeze every ounce of life out of each and every day amazes me.  I often find myself wondering if  we will be able to keep up with the needs of this dynamic little personality.  I sometimes feel like, instead of us at the wheel, it is him, chauffering himself into uncharted territory.  We are just along for the wild and amazing ride, simply accessories in his exciting universe.  While the map of his life isn't yet finished, I know he will visit amazing destinations.  I am thankful to be along for the ride, wild and crazy as it sometimes is, and can't wait to see where he goes.  I love surprises. 

Happy Birthday, Little Bobcat.  We love you!

0 comments: