CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 23

Go Big Red!


A view of the Platte Valley from Stage Hill
I am sure you have heard the story. You know...the story about the first time I took Chi home to Nebraska? We were driving along Highway 71, a flat and very straight road, bordered on both sides by waving fields of golden wheat and sagebrush. And more flatness. I was driving and Chi had been taking a nap on that long drive north from Denver to Scottsbluff when he woke up and looked out the window. He sat straight up in the seat and said, totally alarmed, "We're in the middle of NO-WHERE!"  Well, the scenery gets a little more interesting than wheat, flat and sagebrush, but not until you're about 15 minutes from home.  Then, you drive through the Wildcat Hills, come over Stage Hill, and see home in the distance.  Well, since that first shocking drive, and all in fun, Chi has taught both of the Little Nguyens to say, "We're in the middle of nowhere!" as we near Grandma's house.  They laugh at it now because they have come to love "nowhere" -- Nebraska -- and so has Chi.

Well, "nowhere" is now "somewhere".  The proof is in the puddin'!  Chi finally, FINALLY, F-I-N-A-L-L-Y put on the RIGHT COLORS, and I took it as his acknowledgement that I did not grow up in "nowhere". One thing that I have tried and tried repeatedly to do, and with no success, is to get my sweet husband to wear a Husker t-shirt!  "I'm not wearin' that!" he has said.  But, the other day he came downstairs wearing the Nebraska Huskers shirt we brought back for him from our summer trip to Nebraska.  I about fell over dead right there on the kitchen floor. It was such a PROUD moment for me, and I ran for the camera!
Go Big Red!
Go Big Red!

I was so proud that I had Benjamin take a photograph, worried that this might never, ever happen again.  Dad would be so proud, Chi!  Although the only instructions he ever gave you were to "treat her right", you KNOW this caveat was totally implied:  "Get a Nebraska t-shirt!"  Now, if I can just get him to make room in his drawer for his blackshirt to rest next to his Rutgers and UVA gear.  THAT might take some time!

Decked out in our gameday gear!
Photo by Ben