 |
| His Famous Thanksgiving Apple Pie |
We had a great Thanksgiving in Raleigh. It was a nice, quiet day to enjoy time with each other and, of course, the unseasonably warm weather! Chi started his day by baking his traditional Thanksgiving Apple Pie. We aren't pumpkin pie fans at our house, so we go with something different for dessert.
After prepping some side dishes in the morning and sticking our turkey in the oven, we headed over to our friends, the Rufas, for drinks and appetizers in the early afternoon. I was a little nervous about having it in the oven while we weren't here (and convinced that every siren I heard was the fire department responding to a neighbor's call for our burning house!). But, we live so close to the Rufas and weren't gone too long. I figured that I would be able to see the smoke at our house from their back deck!
There were lots of kids there to play with, and the Little Nguyens enjoyed running off a little energy outside with some friends before digging into our feast at home. We normally keep Thanksgiving purposely quiet and uneventful, but I have to admit that I loved the craziness of listening to running, screaming kids and enjoying a pumpkin martini with Sue, Chris and our other friends. We enjoyed our drinks out on their deck, talked and laughed with friends, and watched the kids get dirty as only kids can do. The piles of crunchy leaves made for lots of fun for them! Of course, I forgot our camera.
 |
| After drinks and appetizers at the Rufas |
 |
| A beautiful afternoon |
After a little pre-Thanksgiving dinner fun, we headed home to check on the bird, which was beautifully-colored by then and ready to tent with foil. We relaxed for a few hours and then Chi carved our 20-pound...yes, that is correct....20-pound....beast. There never seem to be enough leftovers, right?!
 |
| Later...carving into the bird! |
 |
| Approval from Chi |
 |
| Yum! |
 |
| Still working.... |
 |
| A smile... |
I know every year I say this, but it was the best turkey I have ever made. It might have something to do with the copious amounts of chicken broth, wine and butter I baste it with! Makes for fantastic, flavorful gravy, right?! Thanksgiving only comes once a year, and gravy from a jar should be a sin.
 |
| Playing around after dinner |
 |
| A chin tickle! |
 |
| That's a funny use for napkin rings! Kinda looks like Harry Potter. |
A friend reminded me recently that even the sad, unfortunate and trying events and things that happen in our lives are God's blessings. All day long, I kept thinking about what she said, how it stuck with me. So today, I give thanks for all of those things -- and His great gifts, too. I am grateful for these three people who I get to walk through life with. In the most difficult times, on the most difficult days, they are the best blessings of all.
0 comments:
Post a Comment