As we look back at all of the photos we have taken over the last few years, our Littlest Nguyen has changed so much. Now, he is barely recognizable as the once fluffy-haired, cherub-faced little butterball that he was in his first few months of life. After his first haircut, it was clear he had inherited the "widow's peak" hairline shared by his great-grandfather, grandfather and Daddy. That was when we dubbed him our "little monkey," as he greatly resembled the beloved stuffed monkey that he simply couldn't be separated from. Through all of the changes that are visible in our photos, the one constant (aside from the hairline) is Milo the Monkey! He is present and accounted for in just about every picture we have of the Littlest Nguyen. This morning's snapshots were no exception. Milo was right there, being the faithful companion that he always is, calming the Littlest Nguyen's fears.
It was his first day of preschool! Excited as he was to be going to big boy school, there was the inevitable hesitation and fear of the unknown. The Littlest Nguyen put on his best smile as he posed for a few pictures, and he was brave as we walked in, continually asking, "You will come for me after lunch?" Oh, how that tugged on my heartstrings! After saying hello to his teachers, he surveyed the selection of toys: Bristle blocks, a dollhouse, playdough with cookie cutters, lacing shapes...fireman costume! Ring the alarm! Ding, ding, ding! After that, he was quite comfortable and said, "Bye, bye, Mommy," followed by a quick hug before trotting off to put out a huge blaze in the play kitchen. Milo stayed all morning in the Littlest Nguyen's school bag, hanging on his peg, head peeking out of the top to watch all of the children. How I would have liked to have been that monkey!
When I picked him up after lunch, the Second Little Nguyen was on fire! He had so much to tell me about his morning, and he was giddy with exhaustion. Last week, he was so excited about his brother's back-to-school treat, and I promised I would make him something special to celebrate his first day of preschool. So while he napped, I made him a few of these school bus cupcakes, which earned a giggle and a grin. The Second Little Nguyen even understood what the M&M's were for: red was for stop and green was for go! (I know that school buses don't have green go signs, but there were only three reds in the mini package of M&M's I had on hand! Who would have thought?!)
0 comments:
Post a Comment