CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 3

Storytime

The children in the First Little Nguyen's class have been working on special stories for a few weeks now. As I have been in to help in his class, I have seen them demonstrating their revising and editing skills, learning to use interesting and lively vocabulary in their writing, publishing their stories at the computer, and helping their stories come alive by drawing beautiful illustrations. Last week, I got to take them to bind their finished books, and they were thrilled with their work.

Feeling a bit nervous...

Applause for my friends...

This morning we went to an Author's Tea at the First Little Nguyen's school. He has been anxiously anticipating this day for awhile, and it finally caught up with him! After I turned his light out last night, he said, "Mom, I have this funny feeling inside...like I'm sad or something, but I don't know why." After asking a few questions to determine what might be causing this strange feeling, I finally figured out what it was: stage fright! I did my best to find the most encouraging words I could and to help put him at ease, but I knew that it was up to him to internalize his feelings and find a way to manage them. And he did.
I'm next...I can do this!

When we first arrived, he smiled at us, but then quickly shifted back into the nervous mode he left the house with this morning. He seemed to be in a trance as he waited for his turn to read, and I wondered if his smile would ever return. I could see him chewing on the inside of his lip, just as I do when I am nervous, and taking some deep breaths. When his name was called, the First Little Nguyen stood right up at the podium (we told him to envision himself as a five-star general giving an important speech to his troops!), adjusted the microphone, and read like a pro, stopping at the end of each page to share his illustration. Despite the nervousness he felt in his first public reading engagement, the First Little Nguyen managed to find a way to deal with his discomfort and read My Visit to Shelley Lake through to the end. Good Job, Little Nguyen!! His characteristic wide grin was back as soon as he finished and heard the applause...for him! It had to make him feel good to know he had succeeded in accomplishing something that was really hard. I felt good for him. I felt so good, I needed tissues.Mission: Complete! I did it!They're clapping for ME!
This feels really good...but, boy, am I glad that's over!
After all of the authors had read, we all enjoyed tea and cookies (and lemonade for the kids). The First Little Nguyen was so happy that he even posed for a super-smiley, feelin'-good photo with his book AND allowed me to give him a hug and kiss in front of all of his first and second grade friends. I don't know what was better: hearing him read the wonderful story he had written (remember my canoe trip post a few weeks back?) or knowing he overcame his fear.
So many cookies...so little time!Quit snapping photos, Mom! This isn't my inauguration!

Our Little Author with My Visit to Shelley Lake (1st ed.)

2 comments:

Gardner News!

Great job Ben! Hopefully you'll read your story to me next time we're in town!

nicole

WOW! How did it feel to attend one of those instead of organize it? I know you were proud!