When I was younger, I have to admit I was attracted to the geeks. These were the boys who belonged to the Chemistry Club and NFL (not the National Football League, the National Forensics League -- a speech & debate honor society!), read biographies on historical personalities, lettered in Band, and complained about Calc and Trig "not being much of a challenge". They were unequivocally my type of guys. Not much has changed. Except now I am raising two of them.
This afternoon we had a friend over to play that we haven't seen since the school year ended. Our original plan included heading to the pool for the afternoon, me sitting by the pool rating the precision and creativity in their cannonballs and dives, and eating brownies. Mother Nature can be so cruel sometimes, though. She changed our plans without even asking us, sending some lightning and thunder our way, thereby cutting out pool playdate short. I thought the Two Little Nguyens and their friend would be crushed, but on the way home they began to formulate a plan for the remainder of their playtime. Their geeky tendencies came out in full force!
When we got home, they wasted no time in setting up their "WRAL Weather Room", complete with laptop, compass, recording "instruments", and a watch. Between running outside onto the porch to watch the cloud rotations and runnning inside to check the Doppler Radar on WRAL.com, they recorded their observations on paper. Keep in mind, the teacher in me did not suggest any of this! True geeks, I tell you, and proud of it! This went on for about an hour, that is until the Storm Chasers heard some thunder in their tummies and decided it was time for snack break. Then, they blew into the kitchen like a gust of wind and reported-- I'm not kidding -- that it was "cloudy with a chance of brownies and milk"! If you have never read the children's story Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, you won't understand just how geeky the announcement was...
A view from the Weather Room! The storms appear to be dissipating...but more are headed our way!
0 comments:
Post a Comment