We have learned a lot about a whole new culture this summer...swimming. I thought sports-loving obsessions were reserved for decades-old pigskin rivals or March Madness basketball, but I have suddenly come to know a body-shaking-crazy-cheering-voice-losing mother I never knew was inside me! It's a crazy world, and I have been sucked in! Would you expect anything less of a parent who loves to cheer her kids on? I realize that those of you who know me best cannot imagine me on my knees at the end of a lane, cheering at the top of my lungs for my little swimmers to push it across the pool. But I do. It's only slightly embarassing.
The competition pools.
The competition pools.The First Little Nguyen was invited to take part of one of the biggest events in Triangle summer swimming -- The Greater Raleigh Championship, known in the Raleigh swimming community as TSAs. Mornings have always been early at our house...but not 6 a.m. early. And that's what it took this morning...us dragging our fannies out of bed at the crack of dawn on a summer Sunday morning. We were really glad we did, though. 
The spectator area.
We were amazed when we walked into the facility, as we had no idea that any place of the sort even existed in the Triangle. It's the largest privately funded public aquatic center in North Carolina. Who knew it was right behind Cary Towne Center Mall? There were two competition pools (with a removable bulkhead to expand it into one Olympic-sized pool), an elevated area built to seat 1,000 spectators, matrix scoreboards for results (just like the Olympics!), and a high-tech electronic touch-pad timing system. Holy Cow! Anyone would feel like an Olympic athlete swimming in this facility. What a fantastic opportunity.

The spectator area.
We were amazed when we walked into the facility, as we had no idea that any place of the sort even existed in the Triangle. It's the largest privately funded public aquatic center in North Carolina. Who knew it was right behind Cary Towne Center Mall? There were two competition pools (with a removable bulkhead to expand it into one Olympic-sized pool), an elevated area built to seat 1,000 spectators, matrix scoreboards for results (just like the Olympics!), and a high-tech electronic touch-pad timing system. Holy Cow! Anyone would feel like an Olympic athlete swimming in this facility. What a fantastic opportunity.
It's amazing what the First Little Nguyen has achieved in just a few short weeks. He practices every day, and that's big committment to make. Although he isn't always excited to go, he is always happy once he gets started, and he said yesterday, "I wish I had joined the swim team last year!" I think he is really proud of himself, and especially so this morning. Goodness knows we couldn't have been more proud of him: performance, attitude, and endurance. We got to see the best of him. The whole package.
I was allowed to be down on the pool deck since I was roped into being a Kid Pusher (that sounds criminal, doesn't it?) by the coaches. Another mom and I would line the kids up for their events and heats, they would swim, and then it seemed they would hardly have time to eat a snack before we were rounding them up again. I really was "pushing kids" all morning, as nicely as I could...."Quick feet, Gators, quick feet. Oops, you're in Lane 5. That's Lane 4, honey. Move over one. There. Stay put, sweetie." But, the kids were amazing. They just get up on the blocks, dive and swim. They are so young, I think, that it doesn't dawn on them to be nervous. Me? I was a slimy ball of sweat. 
Ben and a friend, prepping for the Medley Relay
Peek-a-boo!
The meet began at 8:30 sharp with the unfurling of a ginormous American flag and the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner (major goosebumps). From there, everything moved along so quickly. The First Little Nguyen swam five events (100M free and medley relays, and 25M free, back and breaststroke), and he placed 27th out of 72 swimmers in backstroke, and 37th out of 61 swimmers in breaststroke. His coaches asked him to represent his age group as team captain, and he was happy to step up. If you know the First Little Nguyen, you know he loves to tell everyone what to do! This position was right up his alley, and it meant BIG responsibility...you know, important things like making sure everyone had their goggles before lining up for an event, reminding everyone to stay hydrated ("Hydration is important in this heat, Mom." Nevermind that the event was indoors! So cute!), encouraging best behavior and the like. BIG stuff! :) Anyway, he was overjoyed to have been "marked" by Coach Claire before the meet and wore his "decoration" proudly!
Check out my guns...and my title!
It was a fantastic day, one I am sure we will all remember. It was so much fun to cheer on the First Little Nguyen in his first championship meet, and we loved seeing his proud smile! Chi and the Second Little Nguyen could be seen cheering wildly from the observation area, and I am so glad they were there to take pictures so we could share them with Ong, Ba, Grandma and all the aunts and uncles.
0 comments:
Post a Comment