CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 5

July 4th Staycation

Happy 4th of July!
The Nguyen Family stuck close to home for the 4th of July holiday this year, opting for a relaxing "staycation!" And did we ever need it. Chi took a few days off from work to enjoy the beautiful weather -- picture 80's and no humidity, virtually unheard of in July in Raleigh. We took full advantage of the gorgeous days, spending them outdoors in the yard (Chi "discovered" a wasp nest - OUCH!), relaxed our neighborhood pool, and even backyard camping. We rode our bicycles one afternoon, went to the planetarium in Chapel Hill, watched some Wimbledon ('cause it ain't July without tennis!), took in the Disney "Oceans" documentary at the movies, ate out in the "Carribean" (mmm...coconut rum), and "traveled" to Korea for some yummy bulgogi and cham pong. Chi smoked his first pork shoulder and made some spicy BBQ sauce to accompany it, indulging my craving for some good barbecue. I made some of Dad's favorite apple crisp (remember the giant pans you would make for him, Mom?). Food, food, food. It's always all about the food. Hmmm...thinking hard about what he can blow up next.
Aunt Susan and Uncle John joined us at the pool in the afternoon for 4th of July food and festivities. Despite the noise and splashing, the Second Little Nguyen fell asleep next to Uncle John on a lounge chair -- too much fun, I suppose. If I didn't know him better, I would think he was narcoleptic. That child is blessed with the gift of sleep. Anywhere, anytime. Hmmm...that reminds me of someone else that lives in our house :)
Smokescreen... Army crawling -- oh, the imagination of an 8-year old...
After visiting not one, not two, but three fireworks stands in search of sparklers, the Four Nguyens enjoyed a mini-pyrotechnics show in celebration of the holiday. The past two July 4th holidays it has become quite apparent that our boys are so totally boys. Because, basically, if it blows up, they love it. If it screams and then blows up, they love it even more. If it can be lit, they want to light it on fire. Badly. Last year was a bit frightening, seeing these programmed tendencies come to the surface in the First Little Nguyen. But this year, I was glad we only had two children because Chi and I couldn't turn our backs for a second on either one of them! It was the Second Little Nguyen who scared the pants off us this year. He would wait until he thought we weren't looking and then attempt to use his sparklers to re-light fireworks that had already gone off! Holy crap! When we were finished with the incendiary devices, I said a quick prayer thanking God that no chemicals were involved -- this year. You know it's only a matter of time before they turn our garage into an Independence Day laboratory and one of them asks, "What would happen if...?" That is the year I pray Susan is working the 7p.m.-7a.m. shift at Rex Hospital. We'll have to watch them for sure. Every second.
I look utterly innocent... ...but inside me is a D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S mind!







0 comments: