
Oh, little Ellie. I cannot believe that my furry best friend is 13 years old. What a sweet pup you are, spicy and stubborn at times, but a faithful companion nonetheless. You loved your long birthday walk in Umstead Park this morning, and you were a trooper for that hour and a half of bliss. You can still run up the hills and leave me heaving in your dust!

You got a sweet pumpkin bread treat after dinner and you loved that! Pumpkin is your favorite... You were eager for more and would have eaten the whole loaf if I had let you! I think we'll save the rest for tomorrow.

There are so many things about you that I love, Ellie -- like walking through the door after having been gone for a few hours and seeing your whole body wag like the day we first met. Orwatching your ears perk up when you see a squirrel or hear me say, "Walk?" Or feeling your soft, warm body near my feet. Or the feeling of you jumping on my bed to give me kisses in the morning. The years with you have flown by. You were so patient with me when the boys were little and your walks were few and far between. Although you're a little more gray under the chin this year, you still jump like a circus dog. And each time you hear the jingle of your collar and leash, you come running like a pup. It's hard to watch you grow older, girl. You sleep so soundly sometimes that I have to wake you to go outside, and I know it's getting harder and harder for you to hear. But you're right there with me all the time, my little black shadow, moving from room to room with me all day long. You are always where I am. I love you, Ellie Bean!
0 comments:
Post a Comment