CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 23

Just Six

This post is a long time in coming! Better late than never... Just pretend it's October, okay?! Six...and loving it.
Six years old was a hard one to wait for. And while it must have seemed like an eternity to our Second Little Nguyen, it came in the blink of an eye to us. He's six. Six.

What a ham!
I say this every year, and I'll say it again. Someday the Second Little Nguyen will probably tire of hearing me say it. He's our little pumpkin. And even now, with his little round cherub face so quickly disappearing, I can look into his brown eyes and see that sweet little face that came into our world six short years ago. Most of what I ever imagined about him is exactly who he is. He is quiet but doesn't miss a thing. He is loyal. He is terribly -- alarmingly --charming. He is confident but not boisterous. He is stubborn. He feels things deeply. I love him to pieces. He is his own unique person, yet at the same time, an unequivocal carbon copy of his daddy. How does that happen?

Peek-a-Boo

On the morning of his birthday, I was awakened by a little whisper in the dark. The Second Little Nguyen was at my bedside, saying, "Mommy. Mommy. Mommy! I'm six now. (Pause) Am I taller?" For several nights, I had been counting down as I put him to bed, "Thomas! You have __ more days to be five!" And he had been asking what would happen when he turned six. Of course, I told him he would learn to read better, that he would learn to write, and that he would grow taller. Clearly, he took that last part literally, and that just took my breath away! So precious... Of course, you know my answer to his question. With one eye open and my head barely raised off the pillow, I said, "Yes, Thomas, I think you are taller!"

Tearing in....

It was kind of a crazy day. We planned our Annual Boo Bash for October 29 since it was a teacher workday and we thought it would be a good afternoon for a Halloween party. And Thomas didn't seem to mind that it was his birthday and we were having a Boo Bash on his big day. But immediately, immediately, after our goblin guests left, Thomas was ready to dig into his birthday presents. He was so ready that I didn't even have time to take my whiskers and ears off! He had been very patient. A double-sided light saber!

He's been such a sweet little guy, counting down the days until six. He hasn't ever really paid much attention to it before, but this year was different. He knew exactly what kind of party he wanted. He wanted lots of friends to be able to come. And he didn't care what kind of cake the candles came on. So peculiar because he is usually "cake specific." Strange to us as it may be, he has become quite the social animal at school. I never, ever would have predicted this. At his kindergarten conference, his teacher mentioned just a few things. She reported that he was doing just fine academically, always sits up straight and listens, and all the girls love him. I might add that she said he loves them back...a lot and he adores being chased! She says there is always a string of girls running after him. Chi and I have two totally different perspectives on his love of being chased by the opposite sex: In my mind, I think, Keep running, Thomas. Run fast. Run away from the girls. And in Chi's mind, he thinks, That's my boy!! It came as no surprise to us, then, when Thomas asked to have his birthday at an indoor playground -- what better place to be chased by the girls?! It's just like the playground at school! And he was overjoyed to have so many little friends, girls and boys alike, join him for a Saturday morning playdate. Aahh...to feel the excitement and joy of being chased when you're six. A big breath...
...and BLOW!

I know that in a blink of an eye our little pumpkin will be gone from our house and off on his own, chasing his dreams. Hopefully, he'll meet a sweet little girl who loves all the things about him that I do. Hopefully, she'll realize that he's everything she ever imagined she wanted. Hopefully, he won't make her chase him! It makes me want to press my eyelids shut and not blink. At least in my mind, then, he'll stay this way forever. Just six.

0 comments: