For those of you who know me, you know I love Thanksgiving. I really do hate to skip over the holiday because why we celebrate it is something worth thinking about. With so little commercialization of Thanksgiving, it makes it easier to experience it's full meaning without getting wrapped up in gift buying, partying, and decorating. It really comes down to remembering the blessings of family, friends, and food.
BUT, I did manage to look the other way for an hour or so on Saturday morning to head out to the Raleigh Christmas Parade. Why on Earth it takes place before Thanksgiving I have no idea. Maybe people just get so busy after the holiday that a December date is unthinkable. Or, maybe it's downtown Raleigh's answer to pumping up tourism and spending around the holidays (BTW, have you seen the lines for Santa already!?). For whatever reason, and albeit early, it was fun.
Marshmallows, too!
Second cup, down the hatch!
Courtney, just chillin' at her first Raleigh Christmas event.
I don't know why we have never been to this parade in all of the years we have lived in Raleigh, but it was cool to see all of the marching bands, organizations and families participating on such a gorgeous morning! Although we didn't have the best seat in the house, the sunny spot, and a little hot cocoa, more than made up for that. Thanks to Chi's gift of height, the Little Nguyens didn't have to worry about not having an upfront spot in which to sit -- they climbed on up on Dad's shoulders!
A view from the top!
Now, don't go thinking I'm going to start putting up my Christmas tree and garland before Turkey Day! Some people will never change and I am one of them. One 20-pound bird is defrosting patiently in my refrigerator as we speak, and I think he deserves to baste in all the glory of Thanksgiving before I break out the reindeer ears and jingle bells.
I don't know why we have never been to this parade in all of the years we have lived in Raleigh, but it was cool to see all of the marching bands, organizations and families participating on such a gorgeous morning! Although we didn't have the best seat in the house, the sunny spot, and a little hot cocoa, more than made up for that. Thanks to Chi's gift of height, the Little Nguyens didn't have to worry about not having an upfront spot in which to sit -- they climbed on up on Dad's shoulders!
Now, don't go thinking I'm going to start putting up my Christmas tree and garland before Turkey Day! Some people will never change and I am one of them. One 20-pound bird is defrosting patiently in my refrigerator as we speak, and I think he deserves to baste in all the glory of Thanksgiving before I break out the reindeer ears and jingle bells.
0 comments:
Post a Comment