CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 22

Childhood Yearnings

Everyone grows older. 

While this fact is obvious it has only been recently that I have pondered this in my everyday life.  When I was younger, there was always an inate desire to speed the clock and to grow older so that I could do the things that my older brothers and sisters were doing.  I have definitely noticed this trait in my sons and I have tried in vain to encourage them to enjoy their childhood. 

I think this longing for my childhood was spurned on by being with family this past Christmas.  But nothing brings on my childhood memories more than food!!!  My mom really spoiled my family with fantastic food night in and night out (Luckily my kids are also blessed with that good fortune; Sarah is a great cook). 

One of my favorites was banh bao (dumpling filled with meat).  There is a Chinese version that is very similar, but I am partial to my mom's.  So being a hack (geek speak for "aspiring") cook myself, I decided to try my hand at making banh bao.  There are a lot of recipes available out there so I just picked one and modified it to include ingredients that I remembered my mom having.


First, you have to mix the dough and roll each circle out to accept the goodies:
 
 Then you fill it with the special surprise:




Steam the buns and voila:

After completely stuffing myself with a few of the steaming banh bao, I realized that I had a lot of leftover filling. Not knowing what to do with it, I decided to place it in the refrigerator and sleep on it. 

In my dreams it came to me!  I would just have to make pate chaudPate chaud is another of my childhood favorites.  It, too, is filled with meat, but instead of a soft outer shell the outer layer is instead light and crispy.  It begins with puff pastry and some filling:

Then you have to crimp the edges tight to seal everything up:
Finished assembly:

After some quality time in the oven:



After I had finished, I came to the realization that these recipes take a good amount of time and effort to complete.  Mom, I am eternally grateful for all you have done for us (better late than never ;-) ) 
Love, Chi