If there is one thing The Little Nguyens do not know how to do, it's playing with dolls. Neither one has ever shown much of an interest in dolls. When he was younger, the First Little Nguyen was always confused when I tried to get him to role play with dolls. The Second Little Nguyen always says, "Dats gewl stuff." (Translation: "That's girl stuff.") I guess I have not done a sufficient job of encouraging the exploration of gender through play. Well, The Second Little Nguyen changed his tune today when he saw these fireman action figures (think G.I. Joe without a firearm). Of course, we brought them home immediately! I have actually been looking for fireman action figures for years, but never could find any. And today...well, there they were. At first, the Second Little Nguyen was a little perplexed as to how to play with them. And he didn't know what to call them. At one point, he referred to them as "Fire Barbies," and then he immediately corrected himself and said, "Dey not Barbies!" We agreed they should be referred to as "Fire Dolls." What else does one call them? Well, I showed him how the dolls can actually hold the fire extinguisher, the ax, and other tools. He learned how to pose the figures and how to take their clothes on and off (I'm so sorry, Mom, for all of those times I interrupted your sewing to ask you to put on Barbie's wedding dress....). What an education he got! Now, the dolls are busy fighting a fire in the bonus room while the Littlest Nguyen naps. I guess doll play really wears a boy out!
Friday, February 8
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I like Fire Barbies!
:)N
Post a Comment