CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 10

Chicka Chicka Celebration

The Book (in case you didn't know)
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Presenting....the Explorers!

The infamous "coconut tree"

If you have had a child in the past 25 years, you surely know that Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one of the most popular children's books ever written. I can remember reading it to my very first 2nd grade class, and even though they were totally beyond the alphabet, they loved the little letters climbing and falling out of the coconut tree. I also remember laying in bed reading it to my niece, Hannah, when I went to stay with her in St. Louis while my nephew, Ian, was being born in the hospital! She would say, "Again, Aunt Sarah!" and read it with me. I even remember a few summers back when my niece, Katy, came to stay with us, and even though she was a teenager, she still remembered the whole story without the book! For this story, I think it's a toss-up between the adorably bold Lois Ehlert illustrations and the jivy Martin/Archambault rhyming storyline that make it so appealing. But one thing is clear: it's just as much fun to read as it is to hear!
Standing with the other letters, looking a little hesitant... There you are, Mom!

As a teacher, I thought I had seen it all. Until Ms. Janet. The Second Little Nguyen's preschool teacher took Chicka Chicka to a whole new nutty level a few weeks back: she had the children each portray a letter of the alphabet and "perform" the story while she read it as only Ms. Janet can. So simple, yet so adorable. And why did I never think of this!?
Confident and ready to begin!Ms. Janet, doing what she does best!Giggling (supposed to be crying!) Boo-hoo...
The letters are all bruised up after their fall from the coconut tree.

Taunting the other letters...
"Dare double dare! You can't catch me!
I'll beat you to the top of the coconut tree!"
One thing I love about Ms. Janet is that she never allows my very quiet, painfully shy Second Little Nguyen to blend into the woodwork. He doesn't disappear and she always notices him even though he is quiet. She warmed up to him in a way few have been able to (with the exception of the magnificent Ms. Maribeth) and appreciated the challenge of bringing him out of his shell. Somehow, she took the sit-perfectly-still-and-be-very-quiet Thomas and gave him the confidence to be "a", and he stood up and spoke his part in front of a whole room full of friends, parents, gradparents, siblings, aunts, and uncles. God blessed this preschooler with a wise and skilled teacher. I couldn't believe when he entered the room before the play began wearing "a". Knowing the story well, I knew immediately that "a" was the spunky troublemaker, a character in direct conflict with the personality of the Second Little Nguyen. I wasn't sure he would be able to speak up and say his part, but I was amazed and surprised. He did. And he did it with enthusiasm and voice. It may not have been a notable performance to anyone else, but to us it was huge.Grandma B. and "a"Little "a" and a very proud Mommy! The most adorable cupcake to top off a great performance!

0 comments: