CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 16

Doughnuts, Ribbons, and Little Penguin!

At the pool with a sweet, morning-after treat!
Oh, boy! Check out the "sweet" reward for a great swim meet! It's the Little Nguyens' idea of a great reward, anyway. Who needs ribbons and trophies when there are doughnuts?!
Come on down! You're the next contestant...
The First Little Nguyen, checking out his ribbons
Listening to the Gator coaches
I've spotted you!
The tradition at our neighborhood pool is a Doughnuts and Ribbons event on the Wednesday morning following a swim meet. While swim practice is normally scheduled for this time, the rigorous workout (HA!) is traded in lieu of doughnuts & juice, awards and general fun-and-games with their lively Gator Coaches. I really like going to the pool in the morning as opposed to afternoon...the morning shade is a tad easier on the fair skin than the baking afternoon sun. And it's just plain fun for the kids to blow off some steam and be a little less serious after their hard work at a swim meet.
Some fun with the coaches...Gogglin' up with his little friend, Hannah...
After some crazy water play with the coaches, the Second Little Nguyen's coaches tried to get him to go down the water slide. However, after that painfully unfortunate incident with the bumblebee at the top of the slide last summer, he politely refused. I think he'll be sticking to the diving boards for awhile! And he did just that, having some of his own fun in the deep end with his batty snorkeling goggles! I finally remembered to bring the camera (i.e. check out Chi's beloved new and very well-protected "toy"), and as requested, I am posting some pics of him going off both diving boards for Aunt Janet.
Cowabunga off the high board! Just lazin' around...
Now, if we can just teach Little Penguin to dive. For some odd reason, the Second Little Nguyen has requested that we now refer to him as such. ("Tacky, you're an odd bird!" is the phrasing that comes to mind!) He's got his arms in the right position, he is perched on the edge of the pool with his toes curling over the edge, he leans forward, and his feet always go in first. It's too cute and so very sweet! And he sticks his little head up out of the water, so proud of his "dive," and says, "Was that it, Mom?" I don't have the heart to tell him "no," so I say, "You're getting the idea, Little Penguin!" He is just not getting the diving thing yet, but he will. Once he gets the feel of it, I am sure actually diving (instead of jumping) off the diving board will be his new thing.

Here I go!

Big leap!!

Grab the noodle!

Big splash!

Noodle ride!

Both Little Nguyens were so excited to play for awhile at the pool, and neither one stopped long enough to pose for me with their ribbons. So, when we got home, after they were good and tired, they finally relented and gave me a scrapbook shot. Now, if I can just get the photos printed and actually into a scrapbook! Someday, maybe.Good job, First Little Nguyen! Little Penguin's rainbow ribbon!

2 comments:

suzz

Scroll to the "Listening to the Gator Coaches" photo and look at Thomas' eyes. Now cover the top of his head with your finger ... tell me who you see in him.

I see Dad when he was a little boy. Thomas looks so much like Chi but in that picture you can clearly Dad in his eyes!

The Four Nguyens

I am going to have to dig out a picture of Dad when he was little to compare. When Thomas was a newborn, the first smile I saw from him was Dad's crooked smirk. I'm going to find a picture right now! Isn't it strange how things in pictures suddenly jump out at you like that?