CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 20

What Makes a Dad

Grandpa and Grandsons #7 and #8
September 2006
A good friend sent me this poem last week, already anticipating that today would be another reminder that my dad is gone. All seven of us must be feeling similarly this morning...Mom, too. The Lord knows the deepest desires of our hearts, and he understands our needs before we can even pray for them. I am sure Dad does, too. I know we will all honor him today, in our own ways, for the amazing man he was and all that he brought to our lives. We were blessed to have him as our father, and we remember that even though he is gone, a part of him lives on in each of us.

My wish -- oh, my wish. I was always perched and ready with the camera when we went to visit. I wanted to capture images of him with my Little Nguyens, so that they would always remember him and never forget being with him...so that I could send photos to him of all three of them together. The problem with that plan is that I ended up with virtually no pictures of me with Dad! Someone, please send me one. I have been sifting through digital photos of family and his past visits our house, but I can't find any recent ones. This makes my heart ache.

I'm blowing a kiss toward Heaven, Dad....please catch it and put it on your cheek. I loved looking through pictures of you today, looking into the same hazel eyes I look at in the mirror every morning. I remember my last look into those warm, kind eyes, and they were filled with love. Mine are filled with love looking up to you.
This day is still for you, Dad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What Makes A Dad

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,

The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,

The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need.

Then God combined these qualities.
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad.

~ Author Unknown

2 comments:

Mary Lou

What a special tribute to your dad. My dad died 15 yrs ago but the memories are so fresh. One thing I miss is fishing with my dad. Like you I have pictures of the girls fishing with him but not myself.

The Four Nguyens

Mary Lou, that is the one thing I would change if I could! Memories and their staying power are such a gift from God.