Since turning four, the Second Little Nguyen seems to have developed an acute interest in writing. For a long time he has loved coloring - with markers, with crayons, with colored pencils, with anything. I have noticed how he demands precision from himself when drawing shapes and objects, but especially when printing the letters in his own name. Even his pediatrician noticed it at his four-year check up last week. He had asked the Second Little Nguyen to write his name and draw some shapes. The doctor said, "Sarah, he writes and draws so deliberately." So, it should have come as no surprise to me one afternoon recently when he called me over to show me this.
At first glance, I wasn't sure what he had written. But when I took a closer look, it sort of made sense. I THOMAS were the letters he printed. When I asked the Second Little Nguyen what it said, he read it back to me: "I am Thomas." Okay, so he left out am, but WOW! A complete sentence (in his own words!) at four years old. At dinner on Friday night, he was printing on a paper placemat the server had left for him, asking how to write our names. He wrote DAD, MOM, BEN and THOMAS before stopping to read to us what he had written. Even in church this morning, when he returned from children's liturgy, he was begging for something with which to write on the paper he brought with him. 
I have always loved to write, and it makes me so proud that the Second Little Nguyen likes it, too. He really wants to do it well and he is so happy to show us his accomplishments. This is one habit we will definitely encourage!
1 comments:
A proud teacher moment! Our kids have no choice but to learn- Patrick already asks Zachary all the comprehension questions for a retelling. I guess we should leave something for his teachers to teach him, right?
It's so much fun to see them grasp the concepts we stressed so much in class. Keep writing Thomas!
Post a Comment