I remember blogging at this time last year about how busy October is for our family. This last day of October was full of excitement-- baking cookies and making spiced cider, stuffing goodie bags, dressing for those exciting costume parades, anticipating Trick-or-Treating time, giddiness at the thought of too much candy! Check out our funky slideshow! We thought the design was sort of diabolical, and looking at it reminds me of how my head felt all day...like it was spinning off my shoulders!
This was the first year I was really torn between the Two Little Nguyens' school celebrations, and, somehow, I was not able to be in two places at once! It really left me with an uneasy feeling having to make a choice. The frosty morning started early with a costume parade at preschool. Really, now. How many more adorably-dressed children could we possibly fit into this preschool!? All of the kiddies looked so cute, and I am always amazed at the creativity some parents are gifted with in the Halloween costume creation department. After helping the Second Little Nguyen change out of his astronaut costume, I raced home to make warm apple cider and decorate cookies for the First Little Nguyen's class learning experience. Delivery of the baked goodies ensued, and I spent a few minutes with him. I was feeling kind of bad about having to leave when he said, "It's okay, Mom. You came and did puppet shows with us yesterday." Isn't that sweet? Well, his understanding made me feel better, and, to top it off, he gave me a discreet hug before I left. What a bonus! When you are a six-year old boy, it's not cool to hug your Mom in front of your friends!
I bounced back to the ECLC for the Second Little Nguyen's first real Halloween celebration, enjoying lunch, crafts, cookie decorating and treats. WOW! Lunch at preschool twice in one week! There was even a pinata to break open -- his first. Each child was asked to bring candy or other goodies to share with the class and, judging by the bag of loot he brought home from school, he was not the only one whose mommy went overboard and sent Halloween goodie bags filled to the brim! On the ride home, I could tell the Second Little Nguyen was absolutely worn out. He normally tells me all about who he played with, what story he heard, the songs he sang, what he painted... So, we curled up in bed with a story and his eyes were closed before I was even half-finished.
When the First Little Nguyen arrived home from school, he was so excited to get into his costume. He was an army general. Yep...we're moving on from dinosaurs! After a quick snack, we headed over to Aunt Suzy and Uncle John's to trick-or-treat, as is our customary tradition. As a rule, they are always the first stop! Upon returning, the Little Nguyens compared their treats from Aunt Suzy's. We lit our jack-o'lantern's and luminaries, ate dinner, and then bundled up the boys for trick-or-treating in the neighborhood. Chi and I walked along with our mugs of piping hot coffee and just watched them go! We ran into some of the First Little Nguyen's school friends along the way which really added to the festive atmosphere. There is something so exciting about walking around in the dark with your buddies! After about an hour, their little legs were getting tired, their treat bags were full and the Second Little Nguyen needed a potty break. We headed for home, a warm bath and a long Halloween nap. I am sure dreams of all that candy danced in their heads!



0 comments:
Post a Comment